Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Don't waste the pretty!

Let's go back three months or so...

Someone who loves me: "Robin you should really read this book I saw it on Oprah, it's called "He's Just Not That Into You"

Me: "Are you kidding me?!? I'm not going to read that book, those women they talk about are pathetic!!!! I do not need some jerk author telling me that I'm an idiot because I'm not married!"

Obviously that conversation was over. Flash forward a few weeks...

My mom: "There's a show on Larry King right now about a book that you might find really interesting, it's a number 1 seller, it's called "He's Not That Into You"

Me: " Oh Really?!? Well you know what mom?? You have no idea what my life is like, I am not a statistic, and I do not need some guy who wrote a book telling me how stupid I am because I am still single at thirty-four."

This conversation ended just as abruptly as the first one...I called back later and apologized for freaking out, but explained to my mother that I had NO intention of reading some self help book about pathetic, lonely, desperate, women because I was fine.

A few days ago...

Somebody else who obviously likes me a lot: "I just read the book "He's Not That Into You", you should read it Robin"

Me: "Yeah, whatever, I have no interest in that book, thanks anyway...and why would you read it? You just moved in with your boyfriend."

My buddy: "Well my friend bought it and I was interested in reading it. It's really funny. I can ask her if you can borrow it."

Did she not hear me say no?
By this point I have succumbed to the fact that if I don't read it, I am going to be asked over and over again, by many, many, people why I haven't. So I say "Okay". ugh.

Today...

The book is delivered to me. I come home, take it out and start reading...and I don't put it down. I read the entire book from start to finish in about an hour and a half. I laugh, I cry. And I realize that I will never be the same. Can you imagine reading a book that at first made you SO angry and then turned out to be life changing? I know it sounds dramatic, but I gotta be me. If you are a single girl you should read this book. If you are a girl in a relationship you should read this book. Married woman? Read it. Gay man? Ditto. I know I am now the irritating 'book pusher', and you are smarter than all of the people who would read a book like this, but just humour me. Or anyone else that may have suggested you read it.

And don't waste the pretty. (You'll understand what that means after you read it!!)

Happy reading my pretties.

6 comments:

gwen-home said...

Thanks for the comment. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to happen to find my blog, seeing as how I've told nobody what my url is. I read your pesticide post. All I'm going to say is I AGREE. I can be intense when it comes to the environment so to avoid staying up way past my bed time, that is all I have to say about that.

Lish said...

Agreed there. I got so irritated by some of the stuff when I read it. I think it's more we don't want to think that that was why these men did those things, but it's more logical. Personally, i think logic sucks at times and am purely okay with my delusions that they were all just psychotic. ;)

On other notes... -8? That's reason to MOVE!

zuzula said...

hey there, I am such a sucker for books like that - am onto it on Amazon straightaway. Hope you have a good Name Day :)

Zx

Robin Alexa said...

Thanks...I know you'll love the book.

Heather said...

oooh, i am going to have to check it out. there's another one you should read...every woman should read it...."The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum"...it's hilarious....from advice on having a successful one night stand, to "should you really sleep with your boss?" i laughed out loud so many times...it's great.

Robin Alexa said...

Thanks Amanda :)