Monday, December 26, 2005

So my dad tells us at Christmas that he went to the doctor for one of those regular check-up things and the doctor says "Oh you've got dry skin on your face. I have a great cream that you could use to clear that up." (Maybe if you were two inches from my dad's face you could tell that he had some dry skin, but to look at him from a normal distance you wouldn't notice it at all.) Anyway, his doctor prescribed FOUR tubes of it. My dad goes to the pharmacy and hands them the prescription and says I think two should be fine for now. AFTER the prescription is filled they give him the sheet with the side effects:

The most common side effect at the site of application is burning or a feeling of warmth. The burning feeling is usually mild or moderate, occurring in the first 5 days of treatment, and the burning usually clears up in a few days. See your doctor if an application site reaction is severe or persists for more than 1 week. Other common side effects include headache, nasopharyngitis (common cold/stuffy nose), influenza, pharyngitis (sore throat), fever, viral infection, and cough. Some people may get herpes skin infections (like cold sores, chicken pox, or shingles), warts, or swollen lymph nodes (glands). This medication also has a statistically signifigant increase in the risk of lymphoma and follicular cell adenoma.

A statistically signifigant increase in the risk of lymphoma????

I said pardon????

After this little tidbit of information my dad goes back to the pharmacist and says that he wants NOTHING to do with this cream (he has not opened either of the packages by the way). The pharmacist says that there are no returns on medications.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is VERY messed up!

You know, I find that a lot of those creams also cause explosive diarrhea. Um, I mean, I've been TOLD that. yeah.

Marianna said...

Good gracious! Side effects are worse than treating the original symptom.

M~

Calvin said...

WTF indeed!! what crap!!

with ref to your note, i'm a Capri, 2nd Jan.. so usually the New Year's Eve party spills over, and everyone postpones their resolutions! ;-)

Robin M said...

wow, that's just ridunkulous! i wouldn't risk it either.

Leesa said...

wow, very weird...I wouldn't use it either!

Paul said...

Your dad's doctor is a tool. Don't dermatologists prescibe medications for skin issues?

You don't need prescription medication to treat dry skin anyways. Just go to Walmart. That stuff works fine, AND, I don't think you can get cancer from Keri lotion. I don't think...

Anonymous said...

I wonder which pharmaceutical company has THAT doctor in their back pocket. That is seriously fucked.

And I thought that only happened here south of the border.

Some Random Girl said...

sounds like meds...yes, sounds like all of them and their weird side affects....you never know with all the weird combo's of meds!

if it gives you runny diarrhea....discontinue use.....flatulence...oh wait..I have that on my own without meds! ha ha

Kelly said...

Unfortunately this happens. It's sort of a catch 22 for physicians though. On one hand, patients have the right to be educated about a medication prior to taking it--however, that only increases the non-compliance with medications...which is counteracting the doctor's visit. So doctors must decide what symptoms will most likely present themselves. (Often times, the listed side effects are only happening like 0.01% of the time.) If the physician discloses a side effect that most likely won't happen--the patient may not take the med in fear or may "experience" the side effect because they "know it can happen." Does that make sense?

Either way--it sucks for us in health care--we want our patients to get better, and although we may not voluntarily disclose all of the listed side effects--they are available on the insert for the drug (as your father found out).

I'm a nurse and I refuse to read the side effects--I'll talk myself into having them even if they aren't there. The power of suggestion is amazing.

I hope your Dad makes a full recovery.

Happy New Year!

Robin Alexa said...

KB,

It said a statistically signifigant increase in the risk of lymphoma, not it happens to .01% of the people that take it.

Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

You have dry skin, so I'm gonna kill you. Doctors.....remember, they admit it themselves that they are just "practicing" medicine.

Bastards.

Hey Binny, are you EVER going to tell me if Lisa and Dave still exist?

I won't talk about your sexy thumbs anymore.

Kelly said...

Binsk--I understand that, and it's unfortunate that no one told him before he bought the medication. He should have been warned, and allowed to make his own decision.

I was just explaining the problems that health care workers experience in this arena.

Most of the time--side effects are less serious such as nausea or dry mouth. Those things are not desireable so often times doctors do not mention them for fear that patients will not take the medication because they expect them. It sucks, but you have to weigh the good vs. the bad.

In your dad's case--he made a good decision. I wouldn't take anything that significantly increases my chance for lymphoma just to cure a skin disorder either.

The Hatleyman said...

At least the penis was off limits. I won't touch any medication that touches the pee-pee.

Smelly Danielly said...

thats totally messed up...scary really

Boysenberry said...

Hmmm, let's see... I could have better looking skin for those that are allowed that close to me, or I could reduce the chance of a big cancerous growth? Gawd, I'm not sure...